PEI Hospital and Medical Services Plan Eligibility
These plans are to provide coverage for PEI residents who:
- are legally entitled to be in Canada
- make their homes in PEI
- are present in PEI for at least six months plus a day
You must register for the plans by applying for a Health Card. Applications are available from the Department of Health and Social Services, medical clinics, hospitals, or physicians. There are no premiums for PEIHMSP.
You must renew your health care card every 5 years to keep information up-to-date.
PEI Hospital and Medical Services Plan Coverage
The following services are covered by the Plans:
- standard accommodation and meals
- lab, x-ray, and diagnostic procedures
- radiotherapy and physiotherapy
- nursing services, drugs. operating, case and anaesthetic rooms in hospital
The following services are NOT covered:
- hospital charges beyond standard rooming, meals and nursing care, unless medically necessary
- non-medically required services, including cosmetic and experimental procedures
- audiology, chiropodiatry, chiropractic, dietetic, homeopathic, naturopathic, optometric, osteopathic, psychology, or dental services.
Forms and Links
Prince Edward Island Resources
Ministry of Health
16 Garfield Street
PO Box 2000
General Ministry Inquiries: (902) 368 6130
Fax: (902) 368 4969